One full day. Recommended 12-20 delegates. In-house only – not available as a public course.
The programme takes delegates on a journey of self-discovery – to understand where they come from and why they deal with certain situations the way they do. It aims to equip learners with a fundamental understanding of:
- Improving self-confidence and building on one’s skills and competencies
- Healthy self-esteem: the foundation of assertiveness
- An understanding of assertiveness and practicing appropriate self-assertion
- Styles of communication, body language and dealing with criticism
The purpose of this programme is to equip delegates with a thorough understanding of assertiveness, how to behave with appropriate assertiveness in personal and business life, to identify personal development areas and to provide strategies to increase influence. This is aimed at people wanting to increase their levels of self-confidence and assertiveness within their personal lives as well as the business environment. The programme encompasses all the aspects necessary to function confidently, effectively and dynamically with co-workers and subordinates.
The programme concludes with case studies and a personal action plan.
The course consists of seven modules namely:
Module 1: Introduction: Personal and Social Competence
Module 2: How it all began
- Self-esteem – the foundation of assertiveness
- Your belief system
- Childhood messages
- The mirror exercise
Module 3: Assertiveness defined
- What is appropriate assertiveness?
- Assertiveness / aggressiveness / arrogance / confidence / confronting / dominance
- Assertiveness versus submissiveness
- Rate your assertiveness – score analysis
- How to practice appropriate self-assertion
Module 4: Styles of communication- aggressive, assertive, passive, manipulative
- Assertive techniques
- Taking and giving criticism (video)
Module 5: The ABC of assertiveness
- Body language characteristics
Module 6: Assertiveness case studies
Module 7: Personal Action Plan